Out-of-State Transfer - Adult

  • You may transfer your valid, out-of-state driver license to Colorado.
  • Per Colorado Revised Statute 24-60-1106, the license you previously held will be voided (it will be marked with a single hole punch in the upper right corner).
  • If you do not have your out-of-state driver license,  to waive the written exam and drive skills tests, you may provide a motor vehicle record from your previous state of residence.  But you are still required to meet identity requirements.
  • Motor Vehicle Record must: 
    • be printed within the last 30 days, and
    • indicate valid driving privilege or privilege expired less than one year   
When visiting a driver license office, please bring the following (please see the application checklist for more information):
  1. Your valid, or expired less than one year, out of state driver license.
  2. The required identification documents
    NOTE: Acceptance of a birth certificate is dependent on the certifying authority, which certifies the document by its seal. Birth certificates must have a seal from a state or county, not a city.
  3. If you are younger than 21, an Affidavit of Identity (DR2304) must be signed by your parent/legal guardian in front of a driver license employee or notary if you do not have any identity documents. 
  4. Applicable fee

Please note - if you have previously held a Colorado license and have had a name change, you will need to bring name change documents