Motorcycle Endorsement

You must possess a valid Colorado driver license to apply for or add a motorcycle endorsement

You may add a motorcycle endorsement to your license in two ways:
    • Pass the motorcycle written exam
    • Purchase a motorcycle instruction permit 
    • Schedule and pass a
    • Purchase a new driver license to add motorcycle endorsement at a driver license office 

You cannot add a motorcycle endorsement by mail, online, or over the phone. You must visit a driver license office to add a motorcycle endorsement to your Colorado driver license.


Per Colorado law, minors under 18 are required to purchase and hold a motorcycle instruction permit for 12 months before adding the motorcycle endorsement to their license. Minors under 16 must be under the direct supervision of the MSF motorcycle instructor at all times while operating a motorcycle. 


The state of Colorado does not accept out of state Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) cards with the exception of those acquired on a military base (must have a valid military ID). 

Types of Motorcycle Endorsements

  1. "M" - allows you to drive two and three wheel motorcycles
  2. "3" - allows you to only drive three wheel motorcycles