General Information

Driver Licenses / Permits / ID Cards

Colorado residents may hold a Colorado driver license OR Colorado ID card -- not both.

What do I need to get a license, permit or ID card?

  • Identification
  • Social Security Card 
    • Proof of Social Security number or a signed sworn statement made under penalty of law that they do not have a Social Security number is required for U.S. citizens or individuals who can demonstrate permanent lawful presence in the U.S. who do not hold a valid Colorado driver license, identification card or instruction permit.
    • If you do not have an unlaminated Social Security Card we also accept:
      • W-2 form (not accepted electronically)
      • SSA-1099 form
      • Non-SSA-1099 form
      • Pay stub with the applicant's name and SSN on it
    • Non-lawfully present residents must present their ITIN card or letter from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
Sex Change
Where's my ID?
You should receive your credential within 10 days, if not you should check your mailing status with the 'Where's my Driver License/ID?' at .
The Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles participates in the .